Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tradition Continued


I was about 8 or 9 years old when my big brother Spencer went off to college. I baked brownies and sent them - untested and untasted - from my house in Basking Ridge, NJ to him at Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio. I never heard how they were but that was back in the late 60's and he was a bonafide hippie. I am sure it was fine.
The tradition has continued with everyone else who went off to college: my siblings, nephews and of course my own children. The latest is my nephew Robbie, who has just begun his freshman year on a soccer scholarship at Univ. of Scranton in PA. I baked him granola bars. There were Adriatic figs at the store, so I included some of those, along with dried strawberries and cranberries, golden raisins, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and walnuts. The secret ingredient that makes these granola bars ridiculously good is.....virgin coconut oil.

S

No comments: